Mental Health Worker
Abraxas, a GEO Group company, is a leading provider of innovative and quality treatment programs for youth, adults and families. For 40 years, Abraxas has contracted with various county and state agencies for the operation of residential, community-based, detention/shelter services and alternative education programming. We offer specialized services for hard-to-place juvenile populations including fire setters, sexual offenders and habitual offenders in addition to gender specific programming for females in need of treatment.
The primary function of the Mental Health Worker is to provide medically necessary mental health
treatment services to children and adolescents experiencing social, emotional, behavioral, and
psychiatric problems. The position provides direct client supervision to those clients with chronic
or acute mental disorders who require active treatment.
• Conducts scheduled head counts to provide effective people security.
• Interacts meaningfully with clients; observes behavior and intervenes appropriately.
• Ensures compliance with policies and procedure for the program/facility i.e. curfew, lights
out, fire/safety, cleanliness, control, and supply inventory.
• Assigns, supervises, and directs clients during programmatic activities.
• Provides for physical safety, security, and care of clients while under staff member
• Assists/participates with the development and implementation of clients’ individualized
• Provides leadership and serves as a role model to clients in the performance of therapeutic
• Assists with the mentoring and training of new staff members.
• Reports significant client changes in behavior, attitude, or physical condition to higher-level
• Processes intakes and performs non-invasive searches of clients entering and/or returning to
• Assists with suppressing and controlling problems that occur within the program/facility.
• Evaluates client’s behavioral and emotional issues.
• Facilitates groups as required and in accordance with the client’s individualized treatment
• Makes observations and documents client treatment interventions, behavior, and progress.
• Provides direct supervision of clients and interacts therapeutically.
• Interacts with educational team as appropriate.
• Participates in data collection and monitoring and evaluation activities for the
program/facility performance improvement program.
• Develops and maintains a current list of resources, including self-help/support groups to
ensure comprehensive services to the clie